Little Bowden Bowling Club extends a very warm welcome to any touring clubs or visitors to the area.
We welcome new members of all ages.
Welcome to our club
Little Bowden Bowling Club (LBBC) was founded in 1912 and is situated on what at that time was the croquet lawn to the St Nicholas Church rectory.
LBBC Members from circa 1920
We are not quite sure as to the arrangements made at that time between the club and church authorities or how the green was formed. We do know however that the clubhouse was a wooden clap board construction with quite small windows and doors which over the many years of its existence has been altered, extended and modernised on quite a number of occasions. Separate from the clubhouse was always a green keepers shed and equipment storage facility. The club has always been a members' owned club and the members have always serviced and managed all the facilities voluntarily as part of being a member.
In the late 1990’s the club successfully applied for a Lottery Grant to provide a new clubhouse which contains two changing rooms, male, female and disabled toilets, a main club room, which is directly serviced by a kitchen and licensed bar. This new facility is a “State of the Art” construction fully accessible by the disabled and meets all current requirements. Access to the clubhouse from the car park is by way of ramped approaches and similar ramped access is available to the green, a special wide wheeled disability chair is available for individual use.
The club car park which is located immediately off the Kettering Road, and which is shielded from view of the green by a 2 metre high fence, provides sufficient space for the parking of 30 cars.
The green is large enough to provide seven rinks in either direction, although we normally only set out six rinks. We bowl east to west during all afternoon games and north to south in evening games, this procedure helps to reduce wear and tear upon the green and also means that bowlers do not have to handle the effects of facing into a setting sun in evening matches.
The Club enters two teams into the Harborough & District League and has two teams in the South Leicestershire Triples League.
We play friendly matches against clubs in Leicestershire and Northamptonshire; Ladies matches are played on Wednesdays and Mixed matches on Thursdays and Saturdays.
The club also has an active social program and has frequent social nights and various fundraising events during the year.
Junior members are actively welcomed and encouraged to join the club.